USMNT vs. Serbia
International friendly matches
January 25, 2023
BMO Stadium; Los Angeles, California.
Kickoff: 10:07 p.m. ET on HBO Max, UNIVERSO, Peacock & Telemundo App
Social media: @USMNT on Twitter and Instagram; US Soccer on Facebook, the US Soccer app
Tonight’s USMNT starting XI against Serbia: 24-Gaga Slonina, 2-Julian Gressel, 3-Walker Zimmerman (captain), 5-Jonathan Gómez, 8-Brandon Vazquez, 10-Paxton Pomykal, 14-Alan Soñora, 17-Alex Zendejas, 20-Cade Cowell, 21 – Aidan Morris, 22-Jalen Neal
Subs: 1 Sean Johnson, 4 DeJuan Jones, 6 Paxten Aaronson, 7 Paul Arriola, 9 Jesus Ferreira, 11 Emmanuel Sabbi, 12 John Tolkin, 13 Matthew Hoppe, 15 Aaron Long, 16 Sam Rogers, 19-Eryk Williamson, 23-Kellyn Acosta
PLAY NOTES | FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT SERBIA
- USMNT starting XI cap numbers (including this game): Walker Zimmerman (38), Cade Cowell (2), Jonathan Gómez (2), Paxton Pomykal (2), Julian Gressel (1), Aidan Morris (1), Jalen Neal (1), Gaga Slonina (1), Alan Soñora (1), Brandon Vazquez (1), Alex Zendejas (1)
- Today’s USMNT Starting XI has an average age of 23 years, 18 days and an average of four total selections.
- Nine of the 11 starters are 24 or younger: Alan Soñora, Brandon Vazquez and Alex Zendejas (24); Paxton Pomykal (23); Aidan Morris (21), Cade Cowell, Jonathan Gomez and Jalen Neal (19); Gaga Slonina (18 years old).
- Seven starters make their senior debuts – the most first caps in a USMNT starting XI since nine players made their debuts in a friendly against Guatemala on January 10, 1988.
- At 18 years and 255 days, Gaga Slonina will become the youngest goaltender to play for the USMNT, beating Tony Meola who made her debut at 19 years and 106 days on June 7, 1988 against Ecuador.
- Two of the three starters with caps made their USMNT debuts at Dignity Health Sports Park. Cade Cowell and Jonathan Gómez both came off the bench to help the United States to a 1-0 win over Bosnia and Herzegovina on December 18, 2021.
- Seven starters are dual nationals: Cowell, Gomez, Vazquez and Zendejas (USA & Mexico); Gressel (USA and Germany), Soñora (USA and Argentina), Slonina (USA and Poland)
- The only World Cup veteran in the starting XI, centre-back Walker Zimmerman captains the USMNT for the seventh time tonight.
- Three starters are based internationally: Gaga Slonina (Chelsea/ENG), Jonathan Gómez (Real Sociedad/ESP) and Alex Zendejas (Club América/MEX). Midfielder Alan Soñora most recently played for Argentine side Independiente but is currently not attached to a club.
- The remaining seven players are based in MLS: Cade Cowell (San Jose Earthquakes), Julian Gressel (Vancouver Whitecaps), Aidan Morris (Columbus Crew), Jalen Neal (LA Galaxy), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas), Brandon Vazquez (FC Cincinnati ) and Walker Zimmerman (Nashville SC).
- Born in Ciudad Juarez, Alex Zendejas follows Martin Vasquez and William Yarbrough as the third Mexican-born player to represent the USMNT in the team’s modern era (1990-present). Zendejas now calls El Paso, Texas his hometown.
- If Paxten Aaronson comes off the bench tonight, he and his older brother Brenden Aaronson would become the eighth group of brothers to earn appearances for the USMNT and the first couple to do so since Pedro and John DeBrito, who made their debuts in 1983. and 1991, respectively.
- With the USMNT outfitting 23 players tonight, goaltender Roman Celentano is a healthy scratch from the game day squad. Six substitutions are allowed at six different times. Half time does not count as a substitute moment.
- The USMNT is 0-2-1 all-time against Serbia. The teams last played in a 0-0 draw on January 29, 2017 in San Diego.
- Jamaica’s Daneon Parchment is the referee for today’s game. He previously refereed the 1-1 draw with Chile on March 26, 2019 in Houston, the 2-0 defeat against Canada in the Concacaf Nations League match on October 15, 2019 in Toronto and the 2-1 victory against the Costa Rica in the World Cup. Qualifying on October 13, 2021 in Columbus.